ARIZONA ANGEL INITIATIVE
Information from the Governor’s office of Youth, Faith & Family
The Arizona Angel Initiative (AAI) is a police assisted addiction recovery program in which individuals struggling with Substance Use Disorder (SUD) are connected to treatment. AAI reduces the shame and stigma associated with SUD and strengthens communities. AAI helps individuals and families struggling with substance abuse and offers supports to help keep families intact.
CRITERIA FOR PARTICIPATION
Program criteria are determined by the partnering county attorney and law enforcement entities. Currently the only program running is in Maricopa County, (Pinal County is pending) the program criteria is as follows:
- 18 years of age and have a valid city, state or federal picture identification
- Not be a fugitive of justice or have any prior or pending charges for crimes involving violence, arson, sex, children or the elderly; and
- Not have a criminal conviction for possession with intent to transport or sell, no drug violations in a school zone, or more than three drug-related arrests.
In addition, participants must be able to meet the following conditions:
- Be willing and able to follow staff directions and refrain from engaging in any illegal or inappropriate activity;
- Be physically and mentally able to self-manage personal hygiene and self-care within a non-medical, non-psychiatric facility;
- Those with physical or mental disorders must be considered ‘stable’ and take medication as prescribed by their physician; and
- If detox is required, persons must be willing to go to detox and obtain medical clearance.
YOU MEET THE CRITERIA, WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?
If you would like to participate in the Arizona Angel Initiative and are a resident of Mesa, Scottsdale or Phoenix, there are multiple ways to do so.
Although it is preferred that you arrange for your children while you get help, the Angel Initiative will find caregivers who will take them in while you get help and, in some cases, you may be able to take your children with you.
CITY OF MESA RESIDENTS
Talk to an on-duty officer or walk into one of the following precincts near you without fear of arrest:
City of Scottsdale Residents
Talk to an on-duty officer or walk into a precinct near you without fear of arrest.
City of Phoenix Residents
Pinal County Residents
The Angel Initiative is also available in Pinal County; Intensive Treatment Systems (ITS) is participating with the PCSO to support this program. Contact (PCSO) Pinal County Sherriff’s Office (520)-866-5111 for more information.