People that are addicted to or abuse opioids experience a euphoric response. Since these drugs also affect the brain regions involved in reward. Endorphin’s (pleasure/reward center) are subsequently released, providing the feeling of well being and gratification.
Opiates are designed to medically mange pain. Consequently there detrimental side effects, and risk associated with the use/abuse of opiates. Some of the short term effects may be feelings of euphoria, drowsiness, lethargy, respiratory depression, and constipation. Some of the long term risk associated with the use of opiates are: Dependence, nausea, vomiting, liver damage, and brain damage.
No need to be dismayed however, all is not lost. There are natural alternatives to create the feeling euphoria with all of the side effects and risk. The best thing about them is that they are free.
Here are a few ways to set off the dopamine party!
- Eat some chocolate. That’s right…….. You have an excuse to eat chocolate, not only because it taste so wonderful, but it can be good for you. By releasing those endorphins it can make you HAPPY!!!
- Drink some Green Tea. Be sure that it is green, as the other teas tend to have a calming agent that will cause relaxation. (Have you ever tried to be at a party and relax at the same time?)
- GET MOVING! Moving increases production of new brain cells, slows down brain cell aging, and improves the flow of nutrients to the brain. New brain cells, new increased levels of dopamine. (TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?)
- Listen to some music Andy Grammer telling his Honey he is good just might be what you need to get you moving and to cash in on those endorphin’s (Wink)
- Take on a new challenge. Be creative don’t just exercise your body, but also your brain it has the same effect. (Smart is the new high.)
The party does not stop with these few suggestions. Invest some time exploring and researching (Which also releases dopamine) you may find that what you were seeking can be found without risk, or compromise.